domingo, 27 de março de 2016

Earth Balance - Butter Solution?

How About Butter?


Most of people ask me how can we bake something without butter! Well, there are many ways, I may confess but living in north america you can solve the issue by going to the supermarket. One brand that is easy to find and is Earth Balance.
Despite liking it for being practical, I think that this butter have some problems but what really bothered me is that they use palm oil on its products.

As we know, the exploration of palm oil causes great destruction on Malaysa, Borneo and Sumatra (to give examples) rainforests and kills lots of orangutangs (these animals have been found killed by being buried alive, burnt or by a machete) and other animals. It also has great impact on people, like the indigenous population loosing their lands and child labor. Because of that I am avoiding palm oil as much as I can. The brand claims that they do it in a sustainable way, using only certified palm oil and supporting conservation organizations. I disagree that this is an asset, this is the minimum and shall not be something that you use as marketing to attract more people.

In this sense, earth balance might be directly vegan, once it is not dairy but thinking about their production chain, it is not that vegan at all once that it uses palm oil.

If by chance you are on a rush and need butter earth balance is a solution but I strongly sugest that you start trying doing your own =)

Here goes a link that might help people understand the impacts of palm oil and why we should avoid it at all costs: Say No To Palm Oil

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário